American Indian STEM Student Mentor
November 8, 2017 | Bysmartmovefm
The purpose of the ND EPSCoR/NDSU American Indian STEM Student Mentor is to increase the number of American Indian students completing STEM degrees during the duration of the current NSF EPSCoR Track-1 cooperative agreement (scheduled to end on July 31, 2019). The goals of the position are to provide enhanced academic support to American Indian students at NDSU in STEM disciplines across both the undergraduate and graduate levels and to create an environment that recognizes the importance of American Indian culture for student success and perseverance in STEM majors and careers.
Screening begins Nov. 22, 2017 #1700548
• B.S./B.A. with three years of related experience in a higher education setting
• Experience advising/mentoring students from traditionally underrepresented groups
• Knowledge of culture, traditions, and customs of American Indian tribes (and more specifically: those located in North Dakota). Knowledge of educational agencies in North Dakota (and more specifically: tribal high schools and colleges)
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team, use judgment, assess needs, develop, implement, and manage solutions. Ability to develop good working relations and communicate effectively with students and other stakeholders
• Familiarity with graduate school admissions and requirements
• Strong computer skills in MS Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Publisher, etc.
• Ability to multi-task as well as paying attention to detail
• Organizational ability to prioritize work projects
• Interpersonal/oral/written communication skills
• Customer orientated/service
• Master’s degree
• STEM discipline